Call for a free consultation today

A silhouette of a cyclist.

What are road traffic accident claims?

Across the UK, the number of cyclists, and therefore vulnerable road users, is increasing, which means being safe and aware on the roads is crucial to avoid a collision or road traffic incident.

Have you been in an accident caused by another road user’s negligence? If you’ve experienced a physical injury or a psychological effect, you may be able to make a road traffic accident claim for compensation.

What is a road traffic accident?

A road traffic accident (RTA) is defined by law as a collision involving a vehicle on a road or other public area which causes injury or damage to another person, animal, vehicle or property. The circumstances regarding every road traffic accident are unique but if you’ve experienced an RTA that wasn’t your fault but has affected your life, you may be entitled to receive compensation.

What are the common types of road traffic accidents?

Most road traffic accident claims are categorised as

  • Car accidents
  • Passenger accidents
  • Pedestrian accidents
  • Cycling accidents
  • Motorcycle accidents.

What do I do if involved in a road traffic accident?

If you’re involved in an RTA, it is vital that you stay calm and check that everybody is safe. If possible, make a note of your location and pinpoint exactly where the accident occurred.

The obligation is on the third-party driver to provide their details and documentation, which additionally includes that of the vehicle owner if not the same as the driver. If this isn’t done within 24 hours, you must report the incident to the police.

It is also advisable to contact the police if anyone has been injured, because this corroborates the incident and nails down the driver’s details. When speaking with the police, it might also be useful to describe the driver by gender, ethnicity, size/build and any other distinguishing characteristics, because it has been known for drivers to ‘swap’ following an incident.

Take images of the road surface, including debris or skid marks, and gather as much evidence as possible.

If you or another party is injured and you have not been provided with the insurance details of the other road user, then you must report the road traffic accident to the police within 24 hours.

Useful points to identify following a road traffic accident

  • The roads involved, speed limit & the direction of travel of all involved,
  • The post-impact position of all vehicles/cycles and riders.
  • Any damage to cars and cycles.
  • Similarly, any casualties, debris (glass, parts of car and detritus which is often dislodged from under a car’s wing often at the point of impact).
  • Road signs and road markings.
  • Witness identity and contact details.
  • Time & date, weather conditions, visibility and street/vehicle lighting.

How long do I have to claim for a road traffic accident?

By law, you can claim for any type of road traffic accident within three years of the incident. However, at Cycle SOS we recommend that start your claim for compensation as soon as possible after a cycling accident. This is because parts of the investigation, such as examining the accident scene or tracing witnesses, may be time sensitive.

How do I make a road traffic accident compensation claim?

At Cycle SOS, ‘The Cyclists National Helpline’, we specialise in cycling accident claims and offer bespoke legal services for cyclists involved in road traffic accidents. Almost all of our road traffic accident claims for cyclists are on a no-win no-fee basis, meaning you’ll only pay for Cycle SOS services if your claim is successful.

To start your cycling accident claim today, contact our team of specialist personal injury litigation lawyers on our freephone helpline at 0808 100 999 5. You can also request a free callback for an initial consultation with our specialist cycling legal team.

In addition to road traffic accident claims, other common types of claims cyclists make include cyclist pothole claims, cycle component failure claims and cycle lane accident claims.

How much compensation can I receive for my road traffic accident claim?

The amount of cycling accident compensation you can receive if you’ve been in a road traffic accident will depend on the severity of your injuries, the impact the RTA has had on your life, and any medical evidence required.

As well as receiving compensation for your injury, you may also receive compensation to cover other costs such as a loss of earnings, medical assistance and damage to your bike.

Use the Cycle SOS cycling injury claims calculator for a cycling accident compensation estimate. Or, contact our friendly and experienced personal injury lawyers to discuss your injuries and how to make a claim.

Are you are a keen cyclist? If so, you might want to explore membership opportunities with our partners, Cycling UK. You would be given access to legal support, insurance support, tips, advice and much more.

For more information about our services or to start your claim, call 0808 100 9995 and speak to one of our specialist solicitors. We’re here to help. You can email us or schedule a callback.

Written By:

Cycle SOS
Cycle SOS only deal with cycle accident claims. We understand cyclists, and believe that cyclists have the right to be safe on the roads. Cycle SOS The Cyclists National Helpline is made up of a highly trained team of specialist personal injury cycling lawyers that have recovered millions of pounds for people making bicycle accident claims.