Call for a free consultation today

Cycle SOS Logo

I have been involved in a collision with a car. I think the driver was to blame but he says that it was my fault, so he does not have to give me any personal details. Is this correct?

No. Individual views upon liability are irrelevant. Anyone involved in a collision must provide their own and the vehicle owner’s name, address and registration number to anyone who reasonable requires them. If this is not done as soon as reasonably practicable or in any event within 24 hours, the incident becomes reportable to the Police. S 170 Road Traffic Act 1988.

The details ought to be volunteered; it is not for the victim to have to drag the details out of the third party. If they are not forthcoming, explain that you will then report the incident. This pre-supposes that the Police did not attend; if they did the driver will probably have been issued with a ‘producer’. If injuries have been sustained, the incident is reportable irrespective. The third party is also required to provide insurance details to anyone reasonably requiring them. Seek advice from the Helpline.

For more information about our services or to start your claim, call 0808 100 9995 and speak to one of our specialist solicitors. We’re here to help. You can email us or schedule a callback.

Written By:

Cycle SOS
Cycle SOS only deal with cycle accident claims. We understand cyclists, and believe that cyclists have the right to be safe on the roads. Cycle SOS The Cyclists National Helpline is made up of a highly trained team of specialist personal injury cycling lawyers that have recovered millions of pounds for people making bicycle accident claims.